Electroplated Diamond and CBN Abrasive Products
Diamond and CBN abrasive
A single coat of diamond or CBN (cubic boron nitride) particles is plated on to a steel form where it is held in a layer of nickel. The particles stand well proud of the surface and electroplated diamond wheels provide free machining on materials such as GRP, fibreglass, carbon fibre, tungsten carbide and ceramics and with CBN, high speed tool steels. Once the wheel has worn down, evidenced by reduced cutting performance, it is possible to strip and replate the surface at a considerable cost saving compared with a brand new wheel.
Virtually any shape of steel blank can be electroplated to meet most requirements.
Abrasive grit size
Abrasive wheels are available with an enormous variety of grit sizes. On an electroplated wheel this can range from 30 microns up to 25 grit. Just like other abrasive products the grit size determines the final finish. Consequently many applications almost certainly require working through the grades to achieve the desired finish.
Applications for diamond abrasive
- Diamond abrasive wheels used on bench and pedestal grinders for applications involving the sharpening of tungsten carbide tooling.
- Plastics. Electroplated diamond saw blades, jig saw blades and routers for cutting glass fibre, reinforced plastics, carbon composites and rubber.
- Glass. Very fine diamonds are used to give chip-free finish when grinding glass. The main use for these is chamfering edges and tapering bottlenecks and stoppers.
- Marble and stone. For cutting and grinding marble and stone a completely different diamond is required. When using fluting wheels, profile wheels, form routers, vanity drums, files and saw blades a tougher synthetic diamond is used.
- Ceramics. Cutting and grinding of the new ultra hard ceramics, which are now used in the defence, aerospace and automotive industries.
- Abrasive materials. For shaping abrasive stones in toolrooms of the timber processing industry.
- General purpose. Electroplated diamond files and wheels are used extensively in workshops from fine finishing through to more general deburring of weld material.
- Foundry applications. Diamond abrasive is ideal for working on grey and nodular cast iron when removing raised burrs. Providing a highly efficient method of stock removal, less downtime and operator satisfaction.
- Internal grinding of high speed steels with mounted wheels plated with CBN abrasive.
- CBN abrasive wheels used on bench and pedestal grinders for applications involving the sharpening of high speed tooling.
Our special manufacturing service includes:
- Electroplating of diamond or CBN abrasive. (Subject to minimum order cost of £100)
- Stripping and re-plating of worn diamond and CBN abrasive products. (Subject to minimum order cost of £100)
- Manufacture of base component(s) prior to electroplating. (Subject to minimum order cost of £250)
- More information? You can speak with one of our representatives free in the U.K. Monday-Friday between 8.30 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. on 0800 027 1928 or +44 (0) 1945 585500 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.